My month of eating real food started off at the perfect place this morning: The Real Food Cafe. It’s my favorite breakfast spot in Grand Rapids (MI), and it was a great way to start off the month. It was a bit earlier than I prefer, but the conversation, food, and coffee were fantastic as usual.
Time to get to the parameters of the month. We are going to keep this pretty basic, and we’ll tackle any issues (is this food allowed?) as they come up.
- The focus is on eating “real” food. That means food my great grandmother would have recognized as food. This actually could be our only rule… as it rules out a ton of stuff!
- All attempts will be made to stay away from processed food. The only processed food we will be eating is the kind we process on our own.
- NO FAST FOOD. Thankfully, we don’t eat much fast food anyway. We will definitely be staying clear of it this month.
- Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables!
- Local meats are good, mostly as a side dish instead of the main dish.
- Anything in our house is fair game. No, we didn’t go stock up on junk, quite the opposite actually. We do have a few things around that wouldn’t fit on the list…. but instead of wasting them, we’ll finish them off and be done with it for the rest of the month.
- How we eat is important. We are going to try to relax, slow down, and enjoy as many meals as possible together as a family (and with friends).
Well, I think that about sums it up. Anything I missed?