Well, it’s been over a year since I started embrace/refrain. I definitely faded down the stretch of 2012, but that is mostly due to starting a web-design company over the last couple of months. Still, I did 9-10 embrace or refrain projects and wrote around 60 blog posts. Not terrible for year 1.
Some thoughts on the past year:
- Starting new habits is hard work, but definitely worth pursuing. Taking habits that are beneficial, but not part of your routine…. to part of your daily or weekly routine takes patience and persistence. A month gives you a good start, but many times it isn’t long enough to get something fully ingrained as part of your daily life.
- In our over-stimulated, thing-driven western culture, fasting (or refraining) from things like foods, entertainment and typical conveniences is a great practice. My favorite project of this past year was staying away from wasting time on the internet. I got so much done and spent my time so much more efficiently that month. At first, I kept a lot of that momentum, but after awhile, my old habits crept back in. I probably need to do that fast at least once a year.
- Writing is hard work. I give a ton of credit to bloggers who post creative, original content on a weekly basis. It takes a ton of time, determination, and creativity. I thoroughly enjoy writing, and find it incredibly beneficial, but it is still difficult.
And moving forward….
- I really enjoyed doing this experiment of 1 project a month over the past year. However, there were months that life was just a bit crazy to be pursuing an embrace or refrain project and writing about it on a regular basis. So I was successful with it some months, and others not at all. In light of that, I plan on continuing this year, but on lighter schedule. My hope is do to 5-6 month-long projects over 2013. I’ll start them when it works as opposed to figuring out a project for the beginning of each month. I’ll probably get my first one going in the first couple weeks of February.
- My second favorite project of the past year was the month I attempted to blog everyday. That month forced me to write about a greater variety of interests beyond the original embrace/refrain idea. Since then, I have continued to to do that on a sporadic basis and I’ll continue that in 2013.