I’m settling in on what I’ll do for January, but thought I’d post some ideas on refrain beforehand. Interestingly, ideas for things to refrain from come much more easily to me than ideas to embrace. Here are some possibilities for things to refrain from for a month:
- Information Technology: This is the big one, and probably the idea that started me down the path to creating this blog. I heard a story about a journalist who took a month away from modern information technology. She picked an arbitrary date in the 1950’s as a baseline for what types of technology she could use. No computer. No color Television. No cell phone. No iPad. Since I heard the story, it has vanished! I have scoured the internet to find even a mention of it without any luck. Did I imagine it? Either way, the idea stuck with me… and now finds itself first on this list.
- Automobile: I live in the suburbs, so this would be almost as big as information technology. What would life be like without using a car for a month? I love my bike, so it would be nice to actually use it for most of my transportation needs. I would also need to learn the public transit system. So many of the things I just jump in my car for would have to be thought through in advance. Fun!
- Any beverage other than water: I am amazed at how many things I drink other than water. Juices, coffee, pop, beer… Not all of them are bad for me, but I think it would be interesting to limit to just water for a month. Not fun, but interesting. Would there be any beverages I wouldn’t go back to? Would I feel better overall?
- Sweets / Sugar Foods: I love cookies, candy, cake, etc. But lets face it, this stuff is just plain terrible for me. I don’t eat a ton of sugary foods, but I think it would be good for me to take a month off entirely.
- Buying Stuff: Of course I need to buy groceries and toilet paper and such, but what would it be like to only buy things I need for a month? I would have to put some clear parameters on what is a necessity and what isn’t, but I think it’s safe to say that I buy a lot of stuff every month that I don’t really need!
I purposely listed huge category ideas. I think much of what I’ll do is take one or more from some of these bigger categories. I could refrain from computer use, or cell phone use instead of all things information technology. Or I could just do coffee, pop, or beer. Some of these ideas would dramatically change how I currently live on a day to day basis! If you have any ideas of things to refrain from for a month, feel free to leave a comment.