Here are some ideas that I have for the months where I embrace a practice:
- Write a letter a day: I think writing letters is almost entirely lost in our culture. I was at a wedding recently where the sister of the bride referred to a recent letter that the bride had written her, and that is when this idea popped into my head. It would be cool to think of 30 or so different people that I could write letters to!
- Wake up at 5:30 every morning: For some people, this wouldn’t be a big deal. If I am left to my own devices, I will go to sleep between 1 and 2am, and get up between 9 and 10am. Lets just say I avoid being awake before 7am if at all possible. Yet, I wonder what benefits would come from getting up early every day for a month? What would I use that time for?
- Ride my bike everyday: This wouldn’t be a huge stretch for me, since I love being on my bike. Yet, I certainly don’t ride everyday, probably not even 3 times a week. So it would be a challenge, and it certainly would be good for fitness.
- Practice the daily office: The daily office is a practice of morning, mid-day, and evening prayers. I’ve been thinking about setting up a spot in the house that is conducive for quiet reflection and prayer, which I think would work great if I chose to embrace the daily office for a month.
- Do an art project everyday: This would be mostly sitting down with my kids and doing art with them. Usually, I just encourage them or tell them how much I like their art, but I don’t often do anything artistic myself. It would be a good practice, and fun to do with my kids.
I’ve got to settle on January’s practice pretty soon. If you have any ideas, feel free to leave them in the comments.